Permits & Fees

To ensure all private and public activity on the public right-of-way is conducted in a safe manner that does not destroy public property the City issues various permits.  In order to recover costs, a fee will be collected at the time of obtaining a permit. Links to various permit forms, and fees information can be found below:

Encroachment/Excavation Permit:

Encroachment permits are required for most types of work within the public right-of-way. Right-of-way typically includes streets, sidewalks, and parkways behind the curb. Even when there is no sidewalk, the street right-of-way usually extends behind the curb. When in doubt check with the Engineering Division for the exact extent of the City's right of way. Please note that whoever applies for the permit will ultimately be responsible for guaranteeing completion of any work started.

Encroachment/Excavation Permit Application (PDF)

Site Plan Guide (PDF)

 Traffic Control Plans General Notes  (PDF)

Transportation Wide Overweight Load Permit:

A transportation permit is required for movement of overweight or wide vehicles, and equipment, into or through the city.

Transportation Wide/Overweight Load Permit (PDF)

Truck Route Map (PDF)

Small Wireless Communication Facility Permits:

All applications and supporting information, documentation, and other materials related to Small Wireless facilities in the Public Right of Way must be submitted.

Small Wireless Facilities Application (PDF)

Small Wireless Facilities Application Guidelines (PDF)

Chapter 18.63 Small Wireless Facilities In The Public Right-Of-Way (Link)

Block Party Street Closure Permit:

A typical "Block Party" consists of several families extending social activities into a residential (public) street. The event is non-profit in nature and is closed to the outside public. A block party street closure permit may be obtained for the temporary closure of select residential streets after review and approval of the City's Engineering Division.

Block Party Street Closure Permit (PDF)

Submittal For All Permits:

  • Submit completed application to Engineering Division for plan check to:
  • Include in the Subject Line: Address of where the project will be.
  • Provide scaled plan sketch with dimensions or site map (if applicable).
  • Provide Traffic Control Plans (TCP) or Watch Manual
  • Provide a valid copy of the contractor’s license. 
  • Provide a valid copy of the contractor’s city business license.
  • Provide a certificate of liability insurance listing City of La Habra as additionally insured.

Insurance Requirements (PDF)


Permit fees are based on the type and amount of work involved. A cash deposit may be required to guarantee completion of the work, protection and/or repair of existing facilities, or to enforce compliance with restricted work hours. The cash deposit is fully refundable upon successful compliance with the terms of the permit.